A professional grower, an experienced gardeners, a winery owner, and the like have a few things in common. For starters, they all likely have green thumbs. Unfortunately, however, they all likely have habits and techniques that they have grown accustom to implementing. Don’t get us wrong, we agree with the phrase, “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it”. All slang phrases aside though, it’s easy to get stuck in a rut when it comes to growing and cultivating your crops. Being a good growers is a challenge no matter how much experience you may have. With the changes in weather and the unpredictable nature of harvests, being on top of your game in 2015 will be crucial.
As such, Growers Trust has put together a list of the top 10 New Year’s resolutions that all growers should try to stick to. Take a look:
- Keep organic management a priority
- Pay close attention to weeds, always
- Turn compost weekly
- Water your plants correctly and pay attention to the roots
- Don’t be afraid to move a plant to give it a second (or third or fourth) shot
- Be friendly to pollinators and butterflies in your garden
- Plant something you’ve never planted before
- Improve your current fertilizer program
- Invest in a soil testing kit
- Donate a portion of your produce
Our honorable mention resolution is to teach a loved one or family member how to grow. Planting gives you so much pleasure and it’s a pleasure that should be shared! On behalf of Growers Trust, here’s to a 2015 filled with healthy crops and bountiful harvests.